Monday, June 27, 2011

Swim. Bike. Run (or walk...)

I ran a triathlon yesterday. Well, it was a mini triathlon, but that still counts. The fact is that I swam, biked and ran consecutively for a good long while so that qualifies. Honestly, I never ever thought I would be able to say that I had done it. I wasn’t really even sure that I could do it. I kept asking, “What if you can’t finish?” My sister Kelly, ever the avid supporter kept replying, “You can’t quit.”

In fact, that turns out to be a lie. You can quit. Like if your bike tire explodes or you trip during the run. Halfway through the 10.7 mile bike ride I was wishing my tire would explode so I could just end the thing. I tried to be strong for the volunteers who were there to cheer us on and direct us but by the time I got to the last volunteers I was only able to gasp out “How much farther?”  I think they were a little taken aback…

The swim part was also a little trickier than I expected. There is definitely a moment of panic at the beginning of it all. Lots of arms and legs and bodies everywhere make it difficult to get your bearings. Plus, I’m a crappy swimmer. Luckily, there were rescue boats in the water you could cling to if you needed a break. Yeah, I stopped at the first one, so what? Actually, there were about 5 of us who stopped at the first boat and the poor guy in the boat looked a little nervous. We all grabbed one end and probably could’ve sunk the thing in our panicked state. I had visions of the guy hitting us over the head with the oars and screaming, “Let go!!”

The run part was fine because it was in the woods where no one could see you so I just walked it. Of course, I was able to pull it together and run the last 100 yards or so to cross the finish line but that was just for show. They had a water station in the woods where you’re supposed to run by and grab one of the waters that are being held out for you. I mastered the grabbing part but couldn’t drink it because I was moving and it was all running down the front of my shirt. Well of course, in hindsight, it occurred to me that I could have stopped.

I think the hardest part of the race though might have been the transition from swimming to biking. Imagine that you’re all wet from swimming, you’re exhausted and you’ve still got a LONG way to go, people are all around you watching, yelling and cheering and you’re trying to put on bike shorts. With wet legs. That is something I would rarely attempt in the privacy of my own bedroom but here I was fighting the good fight in public. I suppose though, there comes a time in every gal’s life where you just have to do what you have to do. And I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've Got You