Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Summer Softball

I have signed up to coach my daughter’s summer softball team. I did not sign up to coach because I’m an excellent softball coach with years of experience and vast amounts of softball knowledge. No. I signed up because no one else did. I’m cool with that.

Our first game (a double header, no less) was last night. Great fun really. I ended up with a team of kids whose parents are AWESOME! Everyone was ready to jump in and help out. Fantastic! Especially since I have no idea what I’m doing.

When our girls were on the field I kept yelling out “Throw it to first base”. Joe called me over to the fence and discreetly whispered “The play isn’t at first. You want them to force an out at second or third base to stop the run.” Oh. Ok. Well then, I guess I know even less than I thought I knew. How is that even possible?? Still, I feel that the point was slightly moot since we don’t even keep score…

The kids were so darn cute. Trying to remember all of their names – no so much. Everyone kind of looks the same in a pink shirt and a batting helmet. Luckily the parents were on the sidelines cheering for whoever was nearest the ball, which helped with name recognition immensely.

In the 2.5 hours we were on the field, my daughter took 3 bathroom breaks. I’d look out to right field, where I’d put her, and she was gone. Then I’d see her standing in line at the porta potti. Note to self – fewer water breaks.

All in all, I think it went well. I doubt very much that I’ll be coaching the big leagues anytime soon but I did at least recruit a parent to send around a snack sheet. My work here is done.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I've Got You