Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Open Mouth - Insert Foot

To understand this post you're going to need some context so here it is. My maiden name is Arnold. My sisters and I have a phrase that we use to describe a bad social encounter and it is this, "Oh my gosh, I totally pulled an Arnold". If you "Pull an Arnold" it means that you have gone into a complete and total social nosedive during a chance encounter with an acquaintance.

It looks a little something like this. You see someone that you haven't seen for quite some time - let's say, an old boyfriend. He says "hello" and you promptly open your mouth and the words just roll on out and they don't stop. For a long time. You find yourself rambling on about the most bizarre things you can imagine - I once gave my full address, with zip code - to an old boyfriend who had simply asked, "So where are you living these days?"

You kind of leave your body and float above, unable to look away from the train wreck taking place below and unable to stop it. A voice in your head is shouting, "STOP TALKING! PLEASE!" and yet you cannot seem to will your mouth to close. And then you start to sweat.

By the time the ex-boyfriend is able to get away from you he's looking at you like you're a complete maniac and he's SO relieved that he broke up with you when he did. It's horrible.

The reason I mention this is that I "Pulled an Arnold" last night at a local restaurant. I ran into a very important work related colleague. The trouble was, he didn't really know me by just looking at me but I knew him so I felt that I had to introduce myself. I had it all planned out. I would walk up to him and say, "Excuse me, Dr. ???. I'm so sorry to interrupt (turn and apologize to his date) but I thought that was you and I just wanted to say Hello. I'm Julie Nowak, Risk Management." And that was it. That was all I needed to say and then I could just turn and walk away. But that is not at all how it went.

One of the problems with the situation was that I had my winter coat on so the sweating started earlier in the process than it usually does. And Joe was with me so I had a witness. Once I said "hello" my brain kind of shut down and I forgot all the other stuff I had planned to say. I ended up misunderstanding what he was talking about and getting confused and flustered. Joe, helpful as he is, told me later than I was rambling and the Dr. was just trying to get away from me. Which I can understand because I wanted to get away from me too.

Once I regained control of my mouth I was able to get away but I feared the damage was already done. I wonder if there's a class for this or a pill I can take to make it stop?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Julie. I love your writing. Please don't ever stop. This is the best. THE BEST (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got to love an Arnold moment, especially when it's not mine!

    ReplyDelete

I've Got You