Tuesday, December 28, 2010

All or Nothing



We (finally) got a Wii. I was actually against it from the start but Joe was really pushing for it. I saw the whole thing as a giant money pit – extra controller, more games, bonus controllers, paddles, guns, DJ tables… but Joe swore that we could “keep it simple” and “just get the basics”. The reason that I doubted him on this was because of the “Christmas Village Incident” of 2006.

It went a little something like this. We decided to take a family trip up to Frankenmuth in November of that year. While we were in Frankenmuth we had a really nice time together and we bought a ceramic light up house that could be displayed for Christmas. We decided, as a family, that it would be nice if we made this trip every year and bought a house to remind us of the fun we’d had.

When we arrived home Joe went on, what can only be described, as a Christmas village bender. He got on Ebay and bought nearly every house, store and accessory that he could find. He bought the creamery, the music studio (complete with monogram), the store, the town square – everything. As the packages began to arrive I said, “What is all this?” He sheepishly looked at me and confessed. Do you want to know the really crazy part? We have so many houses that we don’t have anywhere to display them!

So you can understand my concern with the purchase of the Wii. He actually went to the game store yesterday to “pick up a few things” and I was nervous all day long. At one point he called and asked me for my money that his parents gave me so he could buy me my own Wii controller. No sir. That money has “pedicure” written all over it.

Joe tends to be an “all or nothing” kind of guy and he is not easily reined in, which is why we’ve never gone to Vegas. I’d have to pat him down to make sure he didn’t bring the deed to the house!

Alright, back to the Wii. We got it and it’s a lot of fun. Here’s the weird part – I’m really good at it. Really, really good. Which is strange because, as you’ll recall, I’m not the least bit sporty. Still, I was beating everyone at tennis, bowling and fencing. Joe and I almost came to blows over the fencing game because he COULD NOT beat me and it was driving him crazy. We must have played that game 30 times and he didn’t beat me once! Finally I had to beg him to stop because I was tired.

We tried to do the boxing game but that was a little out of control. I had (really clear and vivid) visions of actually beating him with the Wii controller. When the game paused and the message said, “Wouldn’t you like to take a break now?” I figured it was a sign from God.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I've Got You