Friday, July 19, 2013

Pinned

(This is kind of how I looked but I would never wear those shoes)

As many of you know, I'm a bit of a DIYer  when it comes to my home. I'm always painting or redoing something. Plus, I'm always on the look out for something to add to the house. Craigslist, picking up stuff at the side of the road, whatever, I'm all over it. Today, that got me into some trouble.

My sisters are always yelling at me about getting stuff off Craigslist by myself. "You could be KILLED", "Remember the Craigslist killer?", "What if it's some psycho luring you to your death?"  Whatever, I got a great TV and TV stand for $30 just a few weeks ago (WHOLE story about that one later...).

Anyway, on my way to work today I was driving down Miller Road and saw a table on the side of the road. Truth be told, it was more of a work bench, but the top was FANTASTIC and I just had to have it. I pulled over, laid down the seats in the car, turned on my hazard lights and popped the trunk.

The table was in two parts - the top separate from the bottom - so I thought I'd get the top part in first. Hmmm, kind of heavy. Like REALLY heavy. Still, I consider myself to be quite strong and robust so I thought I'd give it a go. I lifted it ever so slightly, just enough to get the tips of my shoes under the bottom of it and then the whole scene went to hell.

As if in slow motion, the table came towards me and I was forced to the ground. Pinned under this beast of a table (that I still desperately wanted), I had no idea what to do. My head was actually laying in the gravel at the side of the road as I alternately struggled to free myself and jerked my head around to make sure that no one was witnessing this.

After a few minutes I actually considered that I might have to flag down a passing motorist to help get me out from under this thing. My pride got the best of me and I gathered my strength for one final push. I was able to slip out of my shoes and shimmy myself free of the table while grabbing the bumper of the car for support.

Mind you, this was all on my way to work, dressed in work clothes. I got up, dusted myself and called my INCREDIBLE nephew Ethan, dragged him out of bed and BEGGED him to go and get it for me. Which he did because he's kind of awesome that way. So now the table is safely in my garage and I can't wait to get started on refinishing it! It's going to be the PERFECT dining room table when it's done. I'll try to get a picture posted soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've Got You