Friday, November 5, 2010

Toy Story 3 - Spoiler Alert

We watched Toy Story 3 the other night. In reality, the movie should instead be titled, Toy Story 3 - Not at all what you'd expect because the previous 2 movies were really sweet and this one serves only to rip your heart out a million different ways until you're sobbing uncontrollably while your kids beg and plead to attend community college so they never have to leave you.

I mean really!! The kid is leaving for college in this movie - you know the kid, Andy, who was so cute and little and loved his toys desperately and with reckless abandon. So to promote the idea of Andy growing up, sad music is playing as we bounce between pictures of him as a small boy playing with his toys, to pictures of him as a young man packing to leave for college.

I sat there stunned. I mean, Max will be leaving for college in like 11 years!! And Zoe will be right behind him in 14 years!! Ok, ok, I get that I'm overreacting but the fact remains that time goes way too fast when it comes to kids. Max is already freaking out about leaving for 7th grade camp (in two years) and how he doesn't want to go away. So clearly, we're a family that plans ahead.

It's not like I don't know what's coming, obviously, it's just so different when it's YOUR life that will change. I know that it's all about ages and stages and that each phase should be celebrated and enjoyed. I know that in my head. But my heart gets all emotional about these things and then all is lost. I'm a sucker for a good cry. But Toy Story 3 went too far. My eyes were a WRECK the next day.

1 comment:

I've Got You