Thursday, June 10, 2010

It's all in the details...

I think I’ve mentioned before that I’m not much of a detail oriented person. Here’s the weird part, I’m a crazy, mad planner. Especially in the summertime. Kind of. The overall summer schedule is a big deal at our house. A really big deal. I have things set up to run like a well oiled machine. I work part time outside of the home so I’ve got to be sure that the kids have care while I’m gone. Along with that, I’ve got the guilt of working so I feel like I have to schedule super fun activities for the days I’m not home. The kids are signed up for various camps and workshops all summer long. Getting them to and from these camps and workshops requires planning, precision and a steel trap memory. I live with the constant fear of forgetting to pick one of the kids up from camp (which has not happened thus far). I have days set up where it may actually be impossible to get everyone where they need to be on time. That’s just the way it is.
On the daily schedule though, things are a lot more loose. Maybe too loose. I can plan out my day to include laundry and cleaning the house but if a friend calls and wants to go to the lake, I’m all in. Some would say that this is a bad thing (Joe). That I should be more focused on getting my list checked off and making sure that the house is in order. Still, when the lake calls, the lake calls. Will my kids remember that they had clean and perfectly folded shirts or that Mom was flexible enough to chuck it all and take them to the lake? I’d prefer the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've Got You