Saturday, September 5, 2015

MOM, I Think I Need Stitches!!!

It's every working Mom's worst fear. You're at work, doing your thing, earning a living to support your family when the call comes in.

Me: "Hello?"

Zoe: (muffled crying) "Mom!! (more muffled sounds - was that Max?) Mom! I think I need stitches."

Me: Blood runs cold.  "ZOE! What's wrong? What happened? Are you ok?"

Zoe: "I'm really bleeding! It's a deep cut! (crying) It really hurts! I need stitches!"
 
Me: Panic ensues. "Zoe! Talk to me! Where's Max? Put Max on the phone!"

Max: "Hi Mom. (Voice goes sheepish) It's not as bad as it sounds, she's ok. She probably does need stitches though."

Of course, prior to the phone call, Max had desperately tried to get a hold of the situation. "You're ok Zoe. Here, I'll put pressure on it. It's not that bad. DON'T CALL MOM."

Me: "Max, I'm going to call Aunt Susie, Aunt Kelly or Grandpa to get over there to assess the situation. Send me a photo. NOW."

I got on the phone and got Sue. Near hysterics I explained the situation and she packed up the boys and headed over. 

Then I got this: 












Ok. She's not going to die. That's good. Still, it looks pretty deep. May need stitches.

Meanwhile, Sue arrived on the scene. Can I say, once again, Thank God for my AMAZING family? What would I do without them? Who would I call to do these things? Sue didn't even question me at all, just said, "I'm getting in the car now. I'll call when I get there."  She called and explained that it wasn't too bad. The bleeding had stopped and she was applying a bandage. "Does she need stitches?" I asked. She wasn't sure but was leaning towards yes.

During this time I got Max on the phone again and got an explanation of what had happened. Zoe was in the shower and Max thought it would be funny to pour cold water on her over the top of the shower curtain. True enough. Classic prank. BUT. He used a glass bowl, which promptly slipped from his grasp, fell to the shower floor and smashed into a million pieces. One of the shards hit Zoe's foot and cut it open. This was the look on my face:
Image result for head in hands gif

Plus, I liked that bowl. Dammit. I got home and transported Zoe to Urgent Care. At that point, Max was feeling pretty bad about it all. When we got in the room, the nurses set out the "stitch kit" and Zoe started crying. That's when Max lost it. They actually made him leave the room for the stitching because they thought he might pass out. I stayed. Obviously. Even though I'm not clinical and the sight of stitches makes my stomach hurt. 

All's well that ends well. A day in the life, folks, a day in the life. 








1 comment:

I've Got You