Sunday, August 17, 2014

Stupid Fruit

Sometimes it just doesn’t pay to be friendly.  And yet, it’s who I am and it’s how I roll. I want everyone around me to feel comfortable and I want them to like me and think I'm nice. But sometimes I go too far and don't pull back when I should. Sometimes I just lunge into the abyss and FORCE myself on people until they simply can't take it anymore.

Such was the case during my last pedicure. I was introduced to a new nail tech at my very small salon. I kind of knew her "back story" (She is the owner's sister in law and not from here) a little bit and wanted to be friendly and welcoming to her. Total backfire.

We were just getting into the groove - had my polish picked out, kicking back in the chair, ready to roll. So I started with, "How long have you been in the country?"

She stopped what she was doing, looked up and replied, "Six years."

Oh.

"Where are you from originally?"

"Indonesia"

"It must be beautiful there?"

Again. Dead stop. "No. It's hot, muggy and full of volcanoes."

Oh. 

"So you don't go back much?"

"Once a year. To see my family."

 "Well that must be nice. It's on the ocean right? Do you get to spend time by the water?"

First of all, my geography skills suck. No idea where Indonesia is or what it looks like at all. Might have seen an "International House Hunters" episode about it once but that might have been somewhere else. Should have shut my mouth.

"No. I grew up in the middle of the island in the city. We never go to the ocean."

I was in a total nose dive at this point and should have stopped but I didn't. Because I never really know when to stop. It's a thing with me. 

"I bet they have wonderful fruit there." Totally flailing at this point. I'm thinking tropical fruit, straight out of some movie I once saw - South Pacific? Has to be beautiful, right? RIGHT?

"My daughter only eats strawberries and blueberries and they're $9.00 a pint there."

Aaaaannnnnd done. 

I "googled" a picture of the fruit. Yeah, I wouldn't eat that either. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I've Got You