Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Crash Course in Character Building

Joe and Max are at 7th grade camp this week.  Isn’t that just the sweetest thing?  You might think that, when presented with the opportunity to chaperone, Joe jumped at the chance to bond with his boy.  Not so much.  I made him go.

Either way, he’s there now and the reports are slowly filtering in….

Day 1:
I spoke with Joe this morning but we were suddenly interrupted.
Joe: “What the #@*^%? Where in the #@*%^$? Hold on. I’m going to have to call you back.”

Me: “What’s wrong? Is everything ok?”

Joe: “Not really. I’m in the middle of the #@*^%  woods and I don’t see a cabin anywhere. I have trekked out here about 40 minutes from the  #@*^% dining hall to find the cabin and now I’m lost. Son of a  #@*^% (insert assorted muttering and cursing here).”

Me: Trying hard not to laugh out loud. “Ok, call me when you can”

The next call came in last night around 9:30.
Me: “How’s it going?”

Joe: “Good grief. They’re running everywhere! I don’t even know where half of my kids are. I think I just saw a girl headed for the boys shower and someone just ran by with a… HEY!! Max, is that you? Crap. That’s not Max. No idea who that kid is.”

Me: “How are the cabins?”

Joe: “Cabins? Well, that’s a bit of a stretch. We are out here in the middle of nowhere. The cabins are basically a room with a bunch of bunk beds and a weird smell.”

Me: “Is there a bathroom in the cabin?”

Joe: “Uh no. You have to hike to the bathroom and the showers. Dang it! Who is THAT kid? Gabe? Is that you? Not Gabe. Anybody seen Gabe? Where is he?”

Me: “So what time do you have to have everyone in bed?”

Joe: “They said 10 but I have no idea how I’m going to do that. Remember the cute slap bracelets that you thought would be fun?

Me: “Sure! They loved them, didn’t they?”

Joe: “You bet! LOVED them. The sound of them constantly slapping each other with them is deafening. I’m going to have to take them away.”

Me: “Did you pass out the glow sticks yet?”

Joe: “ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?”

Me: “Oh, right. Maybe tomorrow night would be better for that anyway. How’re the rest of the counselors holding up?"

Joe: “The girls are fine. They have air conditioning and bathrooms in their cabins. I’m just happy I didn’t end up in of the A frames.”

Me: “Why’s that?”

Joe: “Bats”

Good Lord.

Even though he was specifically instructed not to, Joe has been telling the boys scary stories all evening about the Chupakabra.  He figures that if he scares them enough they won't try to sneak out tonight.  At this point, I am SOOOO not judging......

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've Got You