Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Classic Julie, just classic.

It’s lucky for me that Joe and I were good friends long before we started dating. On our very first “official” date we decided to rent a movie at the local video store (Yes, I did say “video store” and yes, we probably rented a VHS movie). We had made our selection and we were walking out of the store when it happened. My long, flowing skirt got tangled in a cinder block that I didn’t see (because I was walking backwards – always a bad idea for someone like me) and I fell – I mean “*ss over apple-cart” fell. Down to the ground, skirt around my hips, legs kicking frantically trying to right myself. Can you even believe that he asked me out for a second date?

Now, no one would ever mistake me for someone who is graceful. I’m not one of those girls who took ballet from an early age and who learned to make everything look effortless and smooth. Quite the contrary actually. I trip and fall a lot. Plus, I bump into things a lot. I’ve always accepted this as a part of who I am though and I’ve usually muddled through with a few apologies and a lot of embarrassment. The other day, however, was just plain awful.

I’ve been making some changes in my job and have been given some additional responsibility that I’ve been excited to take on. I’ve been working hard to step up my professionalism and appear competent and responsible. I had a meeting with my boss the other day to discuss some of these additional responsibilities and that’s when the “bad thing” happened.

We were going to be making a phone call that might prove to be tricky. My boss was basically going to watch me try to deal with a difficult person to see how I handled it. I was good with that, I was ready. Right before the phone call, one of my papers fell to the floor.

Let me also clarify, because it just occurred to me, that I was wearing a skirt (stupid skirts). Not only that but I was wearing a skirt with knee high nylons because the skirt was really long (like you’ve never done it…). So when you’re wearing a skirt with any kind of nylons the skirt can sometimes cling to said nylons. Ok, on with the story.

I looked down at the paper and bent to pick it up. At that very moment, the chair (which was, sadly, on wheels) shot out from behind me and I was rocketed to the floor. I landed on all fours and just kind of froze.

My boss, probably bewildered by my sudden disappearance, leaned forward over her desk and said, “Are you ok?” Aside from dying a million deaths? Yup, I’m good. In the process of trying to get back up and get back into the chair, my stupid knee highs got all clingy with the skirt and, in essence, hobbled me. `

By the time I got it all figured out and made my way back to the chair my boss was just kind of looking at me. Was it pity or confusion? I couldn’t really tell, I just wanted to get the heck out of there. I think I have some shopping to do. For pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've Got You