Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Agony of August

"We'd like to take the kids for the day and then keep them for a sleepover if that's ok. We'd like to give you a little break." Sweeter words have never been spoken. Dave and Suzie (Joe's parents) have granted me this respite. To be fair, they grant me respite ALL the time. They step up and take the kids regularly and help out in a million other ways as well. But to hear them say that they'd like to give me a break is a really big deal to me personally - sort of an acknowledgement that this stage of life and kids isn't always easy.

I tend to be a bit of a whiner. I'm not from such hardy stock as they are. They both have come through really tough times to be where they are today and it certainly wasn't without some suffering. They raised their first child (who had serious health problems) in California, totally separated from family and the support it offers, but I can't imagine that Suzie whined about it. Then she went on to handle Greg and Joe and we all know what that must have taken out of her. Still, she was pretty stoic about it and didn't complain much.

I lean more towards the idea of having lots of chefs (or at least sous chefs) in the kitchen when it comes to raising kids. I figure, the more input and support that I have from others, the less the kids can pin on me later in therapy. Plus, I do tend to be a person who needs a mental break a little more often than most. I used to think that made me seem kind of weak, but I actually think it's a good thing to recognize about yourself. As a general rule I can handle day to day life with the kids but some days, it's just all too much.

I was on the phone with a friend yesterday who was going through the same situation. We were talking but she kept pulling the phone away to yell at the kids. The two older boys kept sending the younger one out to report on the situation inside the house (my friend was locked in her car in the garage). I'm not sure if my friend was rolling down the window or just yelling through the glass, but it's not my place to judge. Been there.

A lot of my mom friends are nearing the brink of madness right about now. When August hits and you're out of ideas for fun adventures with the kids (and you don't like the kids enough to do it anymore anyway) things get a little dicey. Another of my mom friends reported that their pool was still standing and it was CLEAN! She's always been an overachiever....

Now that the kids are gone I'm not quite sure what to do with myself. This is how it usually goes with me - I get SO fired up to have some free time but I'm never sure what to do with it. It's strange when cleaning the house ALL ALONE seems relaxing, but that seems to be the plan for the day. It sure isn't a day at the spa but it is a day to myself. Hooray for awesome grandparents!!

1 comment:

  1. ...and speaking of overachievers...look at what time this blog posted!!! (: And, the pool now has a 'dirt ring' around the rim. ah yes, August...she is here. (:

    ReplyDelete

I've Got You