Wednesday, July 7, 2010

If you can't stand the heat...

It’s really, really, really hot out there. I say “out there” because, luckily, I’m tucked away in an air-conditioned office today. Tomorrow, I won’t be so lucky. For those of you who have central air at home – quit calling me. I’m fine. I know the news reports say that you should be checking on people who don’t have air, but it’s just getting annoying. Can’t you find an elderly person to bother instead?

I’ve never been good with the heat, never. It makes me crabby, irritable and downright nasty. Others (Joe) really enjoy it. The other day, when all the heat advisories were really gearing up, Joe was out in the garden doing some weeding. In full sun. I was squirreled away in the basement with water bottles, canned chili and a crank radio!

Of course when the heat index really goes up I worry about my animals staying cool enough. (Except I don’t worry about the hamster too much – can hamsters die of heat stroke?) We made a mud hole for Phineas (the pig) the other day to help keep him cool. Joe dug a big hole with the tractor and we filled it all up with cold water and then we all stood there staring at the pig. He didn’t make a move towards the pit at all. So I decided, because I’m such an experienced pig handler, that I would “lure” the pig to the pit so he could enjoy it. I got some pig food and stood near the hole shaking the feed scoop to try and get him to come over. Apparently my shaking was a little too vigorous or the pit was too muddy because I fell in. It’s not too awfully gross because the pig had not yet made the pit his home but it’s still a muddy pit nonetheless. Once you pass the age of 10, falling in a mud pit loses its appeal exponentially. Of course Joe and kids were beside themselves. None of them could stop laughing long enough to actually assist in extricating me from my situation. Not saying that I wouldn’t have done the same, but still, I’m the Mom, where’s the respect?

Just another day in my oh-so- glamorous life….

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've Got You